Saturday, September 8, 2012

Mayer's Class of '13

Mayer Class of 2013,

I Wish you the best in everything. I do want to express to you a few words of wisdom that I have learned, both from you while teaching and from my brief experience here in Zambia. This is not easy. This "life" thing it gets more challenging. No one is going to hand you a perfect opportunity. Nothing great ever comes easy, it takes work, work that I know each and everyone of you can do to find your definition of success. This is the "last" year you have to be a kid and make mistakes. Do learn from them but do not take advantage of those countless opportunities and the people who give you that chance. I can no longer be as great of an advocate.
Remember that there are your highs and your lows and the time in between. No one wants their lowest of days of times to go on forever. The same can be said about your highs. Learn to just be content.
This year like all years will fly by like I said a few short years ago. At times a grind, the next moment you will blink and a week will end. This year is the last year you will ever be together as The Graduating Class of Mayer High School 2013. Enjoy it. Make sure you are a part of it.
When differences arise as they always do, think, will it matter in a month? A year? 5 years? Is it worth a friendship?
Do not ever doubt what you have. Right now I do not have running water, electricity, Internet, even a toilet to sit on I crap in a hole. And the list could go on and on. Zambians call this home. I know that after my time here in Zambia, I will go home. Back to these conveniences , but what I care more about are not the things rather the people who I miss the most; Mom & Dad, Brothers, sister in-law, niece & nephew, my girl, and countless amazing friends. I know these relationships will have changed, that is okay. Relationships do change. Will it be hard yes, but so worth it.
When the I have the chance I will Skype in, until then remember;
Time is equal to everyone, everyone gets the same amount it is what you do with it that helps to define you. Value your time...
To understand the value of a year ask the individual who had to repeat a year in school
To understand the value of a month ask a mother who had their child a month premature
To understand the value of a week ask the editor to a weekly news paper
To understand the value of an hour ask the bride and groom before their wedding
To understand the value of 5 minutes ask the poor soul who missed their train
To understand the value of a second ask the person who avoided the accident
To understand the value of a millisecond ask the winner to the silver metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment