Saturday, September 29, 2012

From the source


Sometimes there are things that make you grow up a little more.

The short of it is that when I post this, it will be from Arizona. The reason I hurt my knee. 

The longer part.
 During my senior year of high school, screwing around after football practice, I knew that I hurt myself.  I felt a pop and I just knew something was wrong.  A few short weeks later, I was on the operating table.  The silver lining to what had happen is that nothing was injured too bad. Ever so often my knee would hurt or get sore from different things, change in the weather or greater work load.
I cannot say exactly how I hurt my knee this time. Before I departed to Peace Corps Zambia, current volunteer said, “anything that you bring will get beat up, Zambia is rough on stuff.”  I guess “you” can be added to the list of stuff that will get beat up. During training, I biked… significantly more than I ever have before in my life, I would play soccer with fellow trainees, and just walking. The best way I can say it is that Zambia is different, and those different stresses got to my knee.
Why home?  Because that is where my support network is at. I could have experience medical care in South Africa, but I cannot say that surgery in a foreign country is on my bucket list. With input from my family and friends in the states, I decided that home was the best place to tackle this twist.
What is next? One question that I keep getting is “will you come back?” Right now I cannot say. I want to deal with first things first. So I want to make sure that my knee is 100% then worry about the next step. It could be back to Peace Corps. It could be Zambia, or a different country. It could be something at home. I do not know. But it will be first things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment